The Language Acquisition and Processing lab of the School of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology (ÉOA) at the University of Montreal in Quebec, Canada, is offering a two-year postdoctoral researcher position.
The successful candidate will be expected to co-lead a research project on Language Acquisition and Processing in Teen and Adult L1 and L2 (Phaedra Royle, with Karsten Steinhauer, et al, SSHRC Insight Grant). This position will involve supervision of graduation students with a main focus on EEG/ERP data processing. This is a two-year fixed term position. The two main foci of the project are
1. French L2-learning in teens focusing on agreement (gender and number) or syntax (noun-phrase and clitics)
i. Environmental and individual characteristics affecting L2-acquisition
2. Interference effects in adult simultaneous Catalan-Spanish bilinguals focusing on gender interference in cognates (determiner agreement), in collaboration with Garcia Alcaraz, Universitat de les Illes Balears.
i. Language dominance effects on interference.
This position also offers the opportunity to advance the candidate’s profile in targeted interest domains where interests overlap with this lab and projects.
– A PhD in cognitive neuroscience, cognitive science, computer science, linguistics, psychology or a related discipline.
– A track record of research in ERPs, including experience disseminating research through conference presentations and publications.
– Excellent written and spoken English. At least intermediate knowledge of written and oral French. The language of the University is French, but accommodations for learners can be made.
– Experience managing ERP labs, ERP data, and data processing using Matlab, EEGLab and ERPLab, and R.
– Experience managing confidential participant information, dealing with ethical and administrative issues, and efficiently managing and cataloguing data.
– Experience supervising or teaching undergraduate or graduate students.
– High level of French proficiency
– High level of Spanish or Catalan proficiency
Conditions of employment:
– The position is available from winter 2023. Start date is negotiable.
– Full-time position (35 hours per week) with a term of appointment of 2 years. Part-time applications are also welcome.
– The salary in accordance with the salary scales of the Université de Montréal. The salary offered is 42 996 $ CAD, which includes health and dental coverage and one month vacation.
– The researcher will have access to state-of-the art research and training facilities and a conference and travel budget pending availability. French-speaking research assistants will be available to carry out local participant testing, if required.
Please apply directly to Dr. Royle (email@example.com). Applications should include:
– A (maximum 2-page) application letter that a) outlines how you fit essential and desirable requirements listed above, and b) includes a short description of your research profile and objectives.
– A CV, including a list of publications and funding history.
– Contact details for three referees (referees will not be contacted unless you are invited to interview).
Application open until filled